Q. I have a big bust and find it hard to get clothes to look good on me. Apart from surgery, do you have any suggestions?
Absolutely. There are a number of things you can do:
- Start with a well-fitting bra
- V-necks, wide or low necklines are great
- Wrap dresses/tops with a v-neck are good for big busted women
- Go for plain styling - cut and fabrics
- Chunky, long pendant necklaces that hang between your breasts help to break up the overall visual appearance of a large bust. Scarves can also achieve this.
- Dark colours on your top half will help you look slimmer - but you need to make sure you can carry the colour off. You can always add a lighter, complementary colour from within your palette to wear alongside it.
- Certain patterns can break up the appearance of a larger chest
- Diagonal or vertical stripes, especially in a wrap top or dress.
Things to avoid:
- High necks - high crew, polo or turtle-necks
- Be careful with tight fitting tops and jackets.
- Avoid wearing a jacket buttoned up. Double-breasted jackets are not great.
- Watch tops that just hang from the bust, they can make the rest of your top half look bigger than it is.
- Watch buttoned shirts/blouses - sometimes they don't sit flat and they make the top look too tight
- Avoid horizontal stripes, ruffles and any detailing at the bust area
- Cropped tops
- Bolero jackets
- Short sleeves that finish at the bust-line - you end up with a visual line across both arms and your bust that can make you look wide.
Other styling tips in this series: