To all the young people in our lives, take note!
- Our skin starts to age at 23 years old – that is when the elastin and collagen begin to break down. Twenty three!
- The skin renews itself every 28 days, but this slows down to about 48 days as we reach 50.
- Ideally, special care/anti-ageing products should be introduced at age 35 to help fight the signs of ageing.
- Sun damage takes 18 years to show the detrimental effects and it’s cumulative – so all the damage adds up over that time. I wish I’d known this when I was 16! My sun-worshipping days are biting me big time now!
- Sugar is a direct cause of ageing and significantly reduces the lifespan in organisms including other mammals.
- At night when you sleep, your growth hormones are released, which help your skin to repair and rebuild the essential barrier (ceramides) layer of the skin. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing!
- Smoking affects circulation, and the nicotine breaks down the elastin and collagen in the skin.
Source: Living Nature