Let’s have a look at foundations…
The biggest mistake people make with makeup is…
They guess. They guess their shade either by looking at a bottle or a colour swatch printed on cardboard, and they guess their skin type. Typically they will get the product home and it’s the wrong shade, doesn’t sit right on the skin or feels horrible. What’s worse is that they usually keep using it!
The wrong foundation can make you look dull, tired and even older!! GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME – GET SHADE MATCHED. Visit a makeup consultant within a beauty specialty or department store. Revlon Makeup Advisors will help you get the right foundation in the right shade that will save you time and money.
There are 3 key types of foundations:
1. PRESSED-POWDER FOUNDATION
- This will give you great cover
- Ideal for oily skin and combination skin types
- If you’ve got dry, flaky skin then it’s important to moisturise thoroughly before applying this foundation, otherwise it is likely to accentuate your dryness.
2. CREAM FOUNDATION
- The nature of this foundation is heavier so it’s ideal for dry skin types, helping to moisturise the skin
- The right type of cream foundation can also act as a concealer to cover any skin blemishes.
3. LIQUID FOUNDATION
- Suitable for any skin type
- Light, but with good cover – a more natural look and feel to it
- Easy to apply.
BB Creams are a form of liquid foundation - they moisturise, hydrate, smooth, conceal, cover and protect (if they include SPF) – all in one step. For information about BB Creams and product suggestions, check out our earlier article.
- Use a brush or facial sponge to apply your foundation to ensure even application.
- Add a translucent powder over top to help set the foundation and give you a flawless finish.
- Once you’ve applied the foundation and translucent powder, take a dry tissue or cloth and rub lightly under your jaw line - there is nothing worse than having foundation marks. It also saves your collars from getting makeup on them.
- Look for foundations with SPF to assist with protection from the sun.
- Ensure you get the right shade and foundation type for your skin. Ask an expert, don’t guess.
- As we age, our skin type and colouring changes, so your foundation may need to change too. You may be better with a dewier, softer foundation as it’s more flattering.
- If you colour up during the spring/summer months, you may need to change your foundation shade to tie in better with your overall skin colouring.
- If you’re new to wearing foundation, be sure to tell the person advising you so they’ll know to introduce you to foundation slowly.
Thanks Revlon for your contribution to this article.
Left to right:
Revlon ColorStay™ Pressed Powder with SoftFlex™
Revlon Nearly Naked™ Pressed Powder
Revlon New Complexion™ One-Step Compact Makeup
Revlon Age Defying with DNA Advantage™ Powder
L’Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Powder - RRP$37.99
Left to right:
Revlon PhotoReady™ Airbrush™ Mousse Makeup
Revlon ColorStay Whipped™ Crème Makeup
Revlon Age Defying with DNA Advantage™ Cream Makeup
Maybelline New York Dream Matte Mousse Foundation - RRP$29.99
Maybelline New York Dream Nude Airfoam Foundation - RRP$33.99
Revlon PhotoReady™ Makeup
Revlon ColorStay™ Makeup for Normal/Dry Skin
Revlon ColorStay™ Makeup For Combination/Oily Skin
Revlon ColorStay Stay Natural™ Makeup
Revlon Nearly Naked™ Liquid
Maybelline New York Fit Me Foundation - RRP$22.99
Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind ‘The Lifter’ Foundation - RRP$35.99
NEW L’Oréal Paris NutriLift Gold Foundation - RRP$43.99
Revlon Age Defying Makeup
Check out our earlier suggestions here
Plus another addition:
Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Multi-Targeted BB Cream SPF 30 - RRP: $50.00
Please note, the products profiled above are not to scale.
Other blogs in our makeup 'how to' series:
Cover image: pinterest.com/pin/146648531589511298/