8 easy steps for achieving stunning looking eyes
Be sure to check out our fabulous L'Oreal Paris eye makeup giveway at the end of this blog.
First, some tips from the experts
- The most common mistake women make is not blending enough.
- Use a proper eye shadow brush to apply – save the little foam applicators for travelling or touching up.
- Book an eye makeup lesson with a makeup consultant - beauty specialty and department stores are good for this. Learn the right way to apply eye makeup for your eye shape, colouring and age.
- Choose makeup that works with your overall colouring - eyes, brows, hair, skin and style personality. Don’t fall into the trap of matching eye shadows with your clothes colours!
- Be really gentle when applying and removing eye makeup - our skin is thinner and delicate around the eye. A light touch always. Use your ring finger (second in from the pinky), it has a softer pad. Never rub your eyes.
- Shimmering eye shadows, whilst fabulous, do highlight the crepe-like skin around the eyes. As you age, you may like to consider matte shadows.
- Eyes or lips - you need to decide which you want to focus on, you can’t have both otherwise they’ll be fighting for attention. If you decide on the eyes, go for a lighter, softer lipstick, otherwise go for bright or bold lipstick and tone down the eyes.
8 easy steps for eye makeup application
1. Clean and moisturise your face. Use a special eye moisturiser; it’s gentler on your eyes. 5 cost-effective tips for eye makeup removal
2. Conceal if you have to - if you have any marks or dark circles under your eyes, use a concealer. Lightly pat the concealer on with your ring finger or pinky - don’t rub.
3. Apply an eye shadow primer - this gives a really good base/canvas to work from and helps ensure the eye shadow stays on well. I don’t know about you, but I end up with crease marks in hot weather - oh so attractive!
4. Apply eye shadow - there are loads of ways to apply eye shadow. Different ways will achieve different looks and will suit different eye shapes. In most cases you can get away with three to four shades/colours:
1. the lighter, main shade covering the whole eye up to the brow bone. This acts as a base.
2. the medium shade covers the lid (from the lashes to the crease and all the way across)
3. the darker shade for the crease, starting from the outer corner and moving inwards to about 2/3rds of the way
4. the icing on the cake - add a small amount of the lightest and/or brightest colour (e.g. white) to the inner corner of your eye. This will make your eyes sparkle. You can also use the same colour to highlight your brow bone - from the middle to outer edge only. This is optional.
image source: wynnmoniq.onsugar.com
- Always use brushes to apply eye shadow for a more even look.
- I find darker colours a little more difficult to manage and easy to muck up. Try dabbing the colour on to begin with (using your brush), you’ll find it easier to control.
- Choose colours that suit you, that complement your eyes and overall colourings.
- The secret to successful looking eye makeup is to BLEND.
- Brands like Revlon, have instructional diagrams, either on their product or as a handout, to assist you.
5. Apply eyeliner - you can use liquid liners, eye pencils or dark eye shadow (using a wet slanted brush). Find a colour that suits you. I find black too harsh so I use brown. Line the eyes as close to the top lashes as possible, and same with the bottom lashes, through from the middle of the eye to the outer corner and a bit beyond. Some people, including myself, line the whole under eye - this can look a little heavy and outdated. Smudge the bottom line if you need too, you don’t want it looking too stark.
Want that smoky eye look? Add a dark eye shadow to the outside corner of your eye, top and bottom.
Some people choose to put the eyeliner on before eye shadow. It all depends on what sort of look you’re after.
6. Apply colour to your eyebrows. Check out our earlier blog on fabulous looking eyebrows. Eyebrows are often neglected in the makeup routine. It’s a shame, because brows help to frame the eye and complete the picture.
7. Curl your lashes. Use an eyelash clamp for your upper lashes. Hold it in place for about 5 seconds. It’s important to do this before you apply mascara. You can also quickly heat the curler using your hairdryer which will hold the curl better - just be careful to check the heat before you put it near your eye! Once you’ve curled your lashes, they may not look too different, but they do once you apply your mascara.
It looks painful but it's not at all :)
8. Mascara - start at the base of your upper lashes, wiggle the wand a little to settle it in place and then brush up. Repeat for bottom lashes.
And there you have it, stunning looking eyes.
Left to right
Revlon Age Defying with DNA Advantage™ Eye Cream
Revlon Botufit™ Anti-Ageing Line Reducer Eye Cream
L’Oréal Paris Youth Code Anti-Wrinkle Rejuvenating Eye Cream - RRP$29.99
L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream - RRP$33.99
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye - RRP $61.00
Garnier Youthful Radiance Caffeine Eye Roll-On - RRP$17.49
Left to right
Revlon PhotoReady™ Concealer
Revlon ColorStay™ Under Eye Concealer with SoftFlex™
Revlon ColorStay™ Concealer
Revlon Age Defying with DNA Advantage™ Concealer
L’Oreal Paris Lumi Magique Highlighter Pen - RRP$30.99
Maybelline New York Dream Lumi Touch Concealer - RRP$19.99
Revlon PhotoReady™ Eye Primer + Brightener
Left to right
Revlon PhotoReady™ Primer, Shadow + Sparkle
Revlon ColorStay™ Smoky Shadow Stick
Revlon CustomEyes™ Shadow & Liner
Revlon ColorStay™ 16 Hour Eye Shadow
Revlon Luxurious Color™ Diamond Lust Eye Shadow
L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Les Ombres in Timeless Beige - RRP$29.99
Maybelline New York Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24Hr Metallics in Barely Branded & Inked in Pink - RRP$13.99
Maybelline New York Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24Hr Eyeshadow in Too Cool - RRP$13.99
Maybelline New York Eye Studio Quad Shadows in Sapphire Siren - RRP$15.99
Left to right
Revlon PhotoReady Kajal™ Intense Eye Liner + Brightener
Revlon ColorStay™ Crème Gel Eyeliner
Revlon Grow Luscious™ Lash Liner
Revlon Luxurious Color™ Smoky Crayon
Revlon Luxurious Color™ Eyeliner
Revlon ColorStay™ Eyeliner
Revlon ColorStay™ Liquid Liner
Revlon® Matte Kohl Eyeliner
Revlon ColorStay™ Liquid Eye Pen
L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Le Duo - RRP$22.99 (this is a 2-in-1 eye & brow liner
Maybelline New York Eye Studio Hyper Glossy Liquid Liner -RRP$19.99
Left to right
Revlon ColorStay™ Eyebrow Liner
Maybelline New York Master Shape Brow Pencil - RRP$18.99
L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Le Sourcil - RRP$22.99
Left to right
Revlon Lash Potion™ Volume + Length Mascara
Revlon PhotoReady 3D Volume™ Mascara
Revlon ColorStay Overtime™ Lengthening Mascara
Revlon Grow Luscious™ Mascara
Revlon CustomEyes™ Mascara
Revlon Fabulash™ Mascara Thickening
Revlon LashFinder Mascara
Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara - RRP $58
L’Oréal Paris Volume Million Lashes Excess Mascara - RRP$29.99
Maybelline New York Volum’ Express Mega Plush Mascara - RRP$23.99
Maybelline New York Volum’ Express ‘The Colossal’ Cat Eyes Mascara - RRP$23.99
Please note, the products profiled above are not to scale.
OTHER BLOGS IN OUR MAKEUP 'HOW TO' SERIES
cover image: pinterest.com/pin/24136547976524432/